Skip to content

What Do I Do if a Loved One Has Dementia?

senior woman at window

What do you do if a loved one—a husband or a parent—is diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, or another degenerative disease? Obviously, it’s a very difficult time for you and your family; however, it’s very important that you get the proper advice on how to handle the situation.

There are many options in that scenario. There are in-home care options, there are facility options, and there are many various sources of potential funding to pay for those options.

If you’re a veteran, you may be able to get some aid and attendance benefits. There may be things available through your area Office of Aging, or you may also have potential Medicaid options if there aren’t a significant amount of assets. So, it’s very important to receive the proper advice in those areas.

I would encourage you not to just go and do it yourself by just searching the Internet—you want to consult with a certified elder law attorney. I am well-versed in the various options, so I can guide you through the process so you make the best decision for your loved one. Because, at the end of the day, what’s most important is for your loved one to get the care they need and the care they deserve, and I can assist you with that process.

Click here to view our videos about the various issues Attorney Painter can help you with.

The law office of elder law attorney Scott C. Painter, P.C., is located in Wyomissing (outside of Reading, PA, in Berks County,) and offers trusted legal services in the areas of elder law, including nursing home planning, trust and estate services, and veterans benefits. Scott C. Painter is a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA®), and he is also a member of the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA). 

If you have an issue or question, we encourage you to call us. With legal matters, time is of the essence. Call us for a consultation at 610-378-5140. The $300 consultation fee is waived if Attorney Painter is retained to perform services.